Friday, April 1, 2016

Fearless Friday-Learning a new party trick

Who says you're too old to learn something new?  Not me!

I recently decided it was time for me to learn a new party trick.  I mean, how many times can I do the "tying cherry stems" trick ?  Time to up my skills and game.  And if  my new trick required buying a new gizmo or gadget, all the better.

Swashbuckling pirates with their puffy shirts, three-cornered hats, and swords have always intrigued me. Well, I took a serious interest in Johnny Depp's pirate persona:). Captain Jack Sparrow is always doing crazy tricks with his sword.  I needed a sword! And I needed a trick for my sword!

SABRAGE!  The trick, um "technique" for opening a champagne bottle with a saber.  What's not to like? Saber? Yes! Champagne? Most definitely! I'm in!

I must say, I was a little fearful before opening my first bottle of champs. Although I'd  watched YouTube videos and studied up, I was still a little skeered ( remember-Southern for scared).

With saber in hand (I ordered an inexpensive one from Amazon), the first champagne sabering went off without a hitch.  The second, not so good.  The bottle neck broke and cut my thumb as gravity took over :(. Good news, not much champs was lost :)

More studying and practice of sabrage and now thanks to the mister we have some fine film footage on my new improved party trick.  Roll that footage...


Here are tips that I follow:

  • Wear safety glasses (sunglasses can be used; they make you look cool). Leather gloves can be used for hand protection.
  • Look for champagne bottles that have seams down the side (French champagne bottle most certainly do; California champ brands Chandon and Korbel do also)
  • Take a chilled bottle of champagne and remove all the foil from the top and neck of the bottle.
  • Place the neck of the bottle upside down in ice water (I use a 50/50 mix) for 7 minutes.  Do NOT go more than 10 minutes as this makes the neck too cold and weak (lesson learned on my second bottle).
  • Remove bottle from ice water.
  • Loosen the cage (wire thingy) and bend it up so it is out of the way.  I do not remove the cage completely as a safety precaution.  Alton Brown does (Watch Mr Brown's sabering Youtube video here).
  • Place thumb in the punt (bottom) of the bottle while holding the bottle at a 35 degree angle.
  • Point the corked bottle AWAY for anyone or anything that could be damaged.
  • Using the blunt (back) side of saber, aim for the sweet spot--where the side seam of the bottle meets the neck seam.
  • Take a few practice glides.
  • The final swipe and the neck, cork, and cage should come of cleanly.
  • CHEERS!

Enjoy the weekend friends! I'm off to enjoy some champs!


Legal disclaimer-I am not a professional at sabrage.  If you attempt to saber a champagne bottle, do so at your own risk.




No comments: