- Go Fly a Kite: You could spend a lot of money on some of the fancy kites I've seen flying at the beach. Or you could spend a few bucks and get a simple kite that will fly just as high.
- Rent a Bike: Nothing is more fun than riding a bike on the beach. Kids love to ride through the water. If there's no tire guard and you ride through the water, be prepared for splashes of water on your back. **It's always a good idea to rinse a bike off if it has been through ocean water.
- Make Masks or Mosaics: Remember all your finds from beachcombing? Put them to good use by making a plaster of paris mask or mosaic. Find out how to make a sand mask here.
- Fishing: I've watched many folks fish from the shore. It looks like a relaxing way to spend a day at the beach (I don't know the first thing about fishing).
- Crabbing: Our family had talked about crabbing for years. Finally last summer, I broke down and bought a collapsible crab pot. The premise is you bait the crab pot, throw it in the water on a line and leave it. It worked great...until someone came along and cut our line. We're back to keeping it simple--a string, scoop net, and yucky chicken parts. Doesn't get any easier than this! There are size restriction on your crab catch depending on what state you're in. Be sure and check.
Wednesday, March 26, 2008
Another Frugal Day at the Beach
Here are some "almost free" ways to spend your day at the beach: