- Make arrangements for pets.
- Hold mail. The United States Postal Service has a form you can fill out and place in your mailbox.
- Suspend newspaper delivery.
- Turn heat/air up or down.
- Leave a couple of lights on or place lamps on timers.
- Shut water off inside the home.
- Make sure refrigerator and freezer doors are completely closed.
- Lock all windows and doors.
- Turn on the house security system.
I've printed out my list and keep it in a plastic sheet protector. Using a dry erase marker, I can check off the tasks I've completed.
Here's an example of a lamp timer: